Frequently Asked Questions


Where does my water come from?

City water distributed through the water treatment plants is derived from two sources: Silver Lake, Fairfax Reservoir and Lake Champlain, Maquam Shore.


What is the treatment process for water?

 Please refer to Water Quality Reports 


What are the acceptable forms of payment and where can I pay my bill?

  • Mail - Payments in the form of check, cashier’s check can be mailed to: St. Albans Water & Sewer Dept. PO Box 867, St. Albans, VT 05478.
  • In Person at City Hall - Cash, cashier’s check, personal check, debit or credit cards may be accepted at the City Clerk’s office located at City Hall.
  • Online or Telephone – Online payments by electronic check or debit or credit cards can be made online through MuniciPay at Convenience fees apply when using the Office Payments service.
  • ACH Debit - We also offer ACH Debits from a checking or savings account on the due date. See ACH Enrollment Form – Utilities and submit to the finance office to sign up. There is a two week processing period to set this up.


When is the annual hydrant flushing?

Annual hydrant flushing commences approximately April 15 to May 1st for a period of four to six weeks. Contact the public works department for more details.


Who is responsible for purchasing the water meter?

Per Water Ordinance Section 6012. Within City limits, a standard residential 5/8” meter is the City’s responsibility for the first meter at a particular location. Any meter greater than a 5/8” meter, outside City limits or additional meter for the same property is the owner’s responsibility.


Does the City offer a sewer credit for filling up my pool?

The City does not issue credits for filling pools. The usage rate for sewer is currently $.484/100 gallons and water is $.195/100 gallons if you would like to calculate the cost to fill up with your City water. To calculate, take the total gallons to fill your pool, divide by 100 and multiply by the rates given.


Who do I call in the event of a sewer back-up?

Please contact the St. Albans City Police Dispatch at 524-2166 or 524-2167 with any sewer back-up related problems.


I would like to have the water turned off/on. What do I do?

If this is an existing water and sewer account, please call 524-1500 X 257 to schedule a connection or disconnect. A charge of $25 on/off fee is assessed.

Please call our office at 524-1500 X 262 if this is an initial connection to a new build/location. Connection application form is required prior to a new connection to the City’s system.


How do I request a final bill for a closing or change in tenants?

Final bills may be requested by completing the Final Bill Request Form or by calling 524-1500 X 257. Please make such requests at least 24 hours in advance of the meter read. In the case of a closing, we typically do the reading the day before the closing; therefore, the request should be made at least two business days prior to the closing. Please have the name of the closing attorney available, along with a fax or email address to send the final bill. Please note in some rare instances, the public works department may need to gain access to the property when a radio (electronic) reading is not possible.   A final bill/read meter charge of $32.25 applies.       


I am a landlord; can I put the bill in the tenant’s name?

Per our City Water Ordinances, Section 6003. J. – All water use rates shall be charged to the owners or its designated agent, of the building(s) or premises supplied, whether used by themselves, their tenants, agents, or servants and such owners will at all times be held responsible for the same.


I just purchased a property and need to update the name on the account. What do I need to do?

Please complete the Name / Address Change Form and submit to our office. This form needs to be accompanied with appropriate documentation for the change in ownership of the property. Please contact 524-1500 X 257 with any questions.


I just received my first bill after purchasing my home, why is it so high?

The reason you are getting the bill is likely due to the flat fees, which are billed in advance for residential customers. There is a billing explanation on the bottom of each bill detailing each charge.


Why has my bill increased so much since last quarter?

There may be several different factors causing a spike in the amount of your quarterly bill.

  • The Public Works Department may have recently repaired the battery on the reading transmitter for your meter; therefore, your previous billing and are were now billed to two quarters (approximately six months) worth of usage instead of one. In this case, the prior bill would have been for flat fees only and lower than your normal bill.
  • It is possible there is a leak causing increased consumption.
  • The most common source of increased consumption is a leaking toilet. To test your toilet, apply 4-5 drops of food coloring into the tank. If the water in the bowl turns to the color you administered to the tank after a short period of time, there is a leak.
  • Locate your meter (typically in the basement) and record the reading prior to retiring for the night or when you know there shouldn’t be any usage for an extended period of time and record again when you wake up.
  • Locate your meter and record the reading. Fill a five gallon bucket and re-record your reading which should have changed by 5 gallons only.
  • The summer months may be another reason for increased consumption for watering lawns or gardens, washing vehicles, filling pools etc.



Official website of the City of Saint Albans, Vermont | (802) 524-1500 |