Vermont Civil Marriage Licenses & Justices of the Peace Information

Marriage Licenses

Marriage certificates are issued from the municipality that either you or your partner currently reside. If you are from a different state or country you may apply at any Municipal Clerk's office. If you are planning a destination wedding outside the U.S. you would inquire with the nearest consulate on how to proceed. You may visit the Clerk’s office or fill out the application below. Both party signatures are required on the application. At least one party signature is required to issue the license. The Clerk will ask for valid identification or documentation. Licenses are valid for 60 days, after which the fee is non-refundable and you must apply for another license. Please review the Civil Marriage Application to ensure you will have all of the information required. 

For information on becoming a temporary officiant click here.

To email identification information or questions please send to: City Clerk Nicole Robtoy, 

Fees: The license fee is $80.00 for a marriage certificate and $10.00 for the certified copy (Total Cost $90). 32 V.S.A. Sect. 1712 (1) For issuing and recording a civil marriage or civil union license, $80.00 to be paid by the applicant, $15.00 of which sum shall be retained by the town clerk as a fee, $50.00 of which shall be deposited in the Domestic and Sexual Violence Special Fund created by 13 V.S.A. § 5360, and $15.00 of which sum shall be paid by the town clerk to the State Treasurer in a return filed quarterly upon forms furnished by the State Treasurer and specifying all fees received by him or her during the quarter.

The application needs to be submitted in person but you can pay online by clicking here, choose "PAY YOUR BILL ONLINE" and select marriage licenses. If you need assistance please call or email and we are happy to help.


Title 18: Health Chapter 105: Civil Marriage Records And Licenses


Justice of the Peace

St. Albans City has 15 elected Justices of the Peace. 

If you are looking for a local Justice of the Peace to perform the ceremony please see the link below for our current listing. 

If you are using a temporary officiant we will require the form provided by the Secretary of State. You may visit the website below and click the “Temporary Officiants” link at the top of their page.


Official website of the City of Saint Albans, Vermont | (802) 524-1500 |